Skip to main content

Experimenting with Mixology

I have recently noticed a trend in mixology going from the old traditional drink recipes to more experimental ones. More exciting ingredients are starting to pop up in drinks at trendy bars and restaurants. Ingredient like rose water and strange vegetables are making there way into the spot light. I looked around on the internet for some more creative mixes that I could make at home and I didn't find much so I decided to experiment for my self.  These ingredients were what I already had in my refrigerator. I think this recipe came out nicely. Its not to sweet but has a unique kick that I don't often find in alcoholic beverages. If you make this drink just right, it is hard to pick out any of the ingredients on there own. They simply become a new entity together. 
I really want to start experimenting in savory drinks rather that sweet ones, so my next endeavor may include something like liquid smoke or bacon. :)

Adonis Martini Cocktail


Ingredients:
Orange 
about 1/12 of an orange with the peel on
Ginger 
about a 1 * 1/2 inch slice of ginger peeled 
Cucumber
a 3 * 2 inch cucumber chunk peeled
Grenadine 
1/4 jigger of grenadine
Hendricks gin 
2 and 1/4 jigger of gin
Jagermeister 
1/2 jigger of jager
Crushed Ice 
about half a shaker

Add the orange, ginger, cucumber and ice together in the shaker. Use a muddler to grind these ingredients together until the fruit and veggies loose there shape and meld into the ice. You will need to use a little elbow grease. Once everything is muddled together and it almost looks like an icy, add the liquid ingredients. Put the lid on the shaker and shake the hell out of it. Use all the muscle you have. I want your whole body involved! This is one of the most important parts. Don't be a pansy and shake that thing! Now, time is crucial here, you don't want to much ice melting in your martini or it wont be a martini anymore. strain the mixture into the glasses and garnish however you like. Some ideas might be an orange slice or a toothpick with a chunk of orange, maraschino cherry and cucumber. You could also get more creative and garnish with fresh rosemary.
If you want to cool your martini glasses before hand, you can get them wet and stick them in the freezer for about 15 min before you begin to mix your drink. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shelf decorating DIY: How to put together a great shelf display

Decorating shelves and mantles can be frustrating. Even the most outstanding and unique piece can get lost in a mismanaged display. We came up with these decorating tips that can help you to create a more visually stimulating display in your home. I hope this helps to make your home feel fresh and organized. Tip #1: Odd numbered grouping... When decorating a shelf or table, it’s usually best to create odd numbers of groupings. One, three, five, seven and so on. You can place one large piece alone or three pieces on a table or shelf. Tip #2: Escalating scale... Make sure the proportions are visually soothing to the eye by using escalating sizes. Create layers by incorporating a tall medium and short item in a group. Always put the tallest piece in the back of the display and let the height come down towards the viewer. Doing this creates a dynamic, interesting display. Tip #3: Make it you... It is important to put your personality into your home decorating. Use mementos of vacations,

Concrete Countertop Concoction! A DIY Concrete Countertop Idea

I recently had concrete countertops installed in my kitchen. I got a pretty good deal on them so I guess that is why I had to finish them myself. It sucked at first, I couldn't find anything about how to finish concrete! During the time that they were unfinished they were so fragile and easy to stain, I had to do something! The only things I found when I searched were extensive messy ways to finish concrete - and my kitchen was not the place to be using chemicals that needed to be sprayed off with a hose. I looked all over the internet, I looked at lowes, home depot and all the local hardware shops in my town. I couldn't find anyone who really knew what they were talking about. I could have acid stained them but that would have been to messy in my new kitchen. I decided to take a chance and come up with my own way finish them.  What follows is a creative, do it yourself way to give a luxurious, natural finish to concrete countertops. I made this up as I went- and we were hap